Game Location: ハコタテ お皿 Ward
The main point:
お・ご is a prefix put in front of some nouns to make them seem more formal or important.
- Some words only get the prefix in certain formal settings.
- 確認 (かくにん、confirmation) becomes ご確認 in formal situations
- お・ご is often only used in these situations when referring to a noun that relates to someone else.
- If you are confirming something, just use 確認
- If someone else is confirming something, use ご確認
- The self vs. others difference in grammar is an important distinction in formal Japanese that we will analyze more going forward.
- Some words always have the prefix, regardless of setting or vocabulary.
- ご飯 (ごはん、cooked rice) always has the ご. It is never just 飯
ご飯です。(ごはんです、(It is) cook rice.)
お金じゃない。(おかねじゃない、(It is not) money.).